So you’ve seen the coffee offerings, ventured into one of our stores, and grabbed a bag of specialty coffee. Now what?
No matter how you brew – whether it be drip, French press, or pour over, the following should be helpful.
Tips on coffee brewing:
- Keep your brewing equipment clean.
- Use freshly filtered or bottled water.
- Use fresh roasted beans.
- Grind your coffee just prior to brewing.
- Use the correct grind for your coffee maker.
- If you are using a paper filter, rinse it with hot water before use.
- Use the right amount of coffee: two standard measures include/ 55g coffee/liter of water OR 2 tablespoons/ six-ounce cup.
- Observe the correct brew temperature of 195-205 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Store brewed coffee off heat in a thermally jacketed vessel to keep it hot.
- Never reheat coffee – it changes the chemistry and ruins the flavor.
- Store coffee in an airtight container.
- Visit us often to check out our rotating selection.
Premium coffee should be considered fresh produce, similar to, say, blueberries. Coffee is best enjoyed freshly roasted and in its season. Opt for 100% Arabica beans as they tend to be less bitter and have a wider range of flavor. It is best to follow all of these guidelines to get the most out of premium coffee, but I realize that it can be quite overwhelming at first. If you are able to follow just one of these tips you will see a marked improvement in your cup. The payoff will be worth the extra aggravation and pretty soon, it will become a matter of routine. Once you have picked up one good brewing ‘habit,’ you will naturally adopt another as you try to get the most out of the coffee which you have purchased.
Bonus: Here is a link for a great video which shows how to use a Chemex brewer.
We look forward to your visit at the Italian Market store to check out our rotating selection of gourmet coffee. Please feel free to call the store with any questions: 215-922-2876. Stay tuned here to our blog, Facebook page or Twitter feed for more coffee offerings, coffee events and coffee tips.