Want to try a great twist for a cheese burger? How about some fresh Buffalo milk mozzarella melted on top! Instead of the traditional hamburger roll why not put it on a nice flaky, buttery French croissant? Here we go!
The Main Ingredients:
- 1 fresh imported Italian Buffalo Mozzarella Ball (aka Mozzarella di Bufala DOP)
- 2# fresh ground 90/10 lean sirloin
- 4 French croissants
- 1 head of Bibb lettuce
- 2 or 3 Roma tomatoes
- Basil sprig
- Cream of balsamic vinegar (or aged)
- Fresh ground black pepper and sea salt
- Small wedge of Parmigiano Reggiano
- Drain mozzarella ball and wrap in a paper towel.
- Portion out ground beef into 4-8 ounce patties. Press into ovals.
- Slice croissants in half then slice mozzarella and tomatoes into ¼ inch strips.
- Cook burgers on grill (or pan) and season lightly with cracked black pepper and sea salt. When done, place burgers on the bottoms of the croissants then quickly layer the mozzarella, tomatoes, fresh basil and lettuce on top.
- Allow to sit for 30 seconds in order to allow the residual heat to melt the cheese.
- Drizzle balsamic on top (just a little!) then finish with grating Reggiano liberally on top of the burger.
- Top off the croissant, sit by the pool, relax, take a bite and enjoy a great way to start Summer!
By Bill Bowles, Cheese Specialist at Di Bruno Bros. Ardmore Farmers Market